Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Welcome to London, is able to give you affordable quality comfortable clean accommodation either a flat or house share or self contained flats and studios which are located within
5 minutes walk from Barking tube station.

Barking is a suburb of London which is on the east side of London. Barking is currently going through an exciting regeneration program in preperation for the Olympics in 2012.

Barking Town Quay

Barking has been associated with fishing since the 1300s but it was only in the Victorian period that the industry suddenly developed. The owner of a small fleet called Samuel Hewett decided to keep his boats at sea longer than most other people. His increased catch was regularly ferried to Billingsgate Market by special fast boats.

To preserve the fish, ice was used for the first time and a great ice-house was built in Barking.
Other fishermen adopted the new practices and between the 1820s and the 1850s the number of fishing vessels in Barking increased from 70 to 220.

The town became dangerously dependant on fishing. By the 1850s Barking was full of fishermen, shipwrights, mast makers, sail makers, ships chandlers, water keg makers, pork cask makers, net makers, knitters, waterproof clothing and boot makers and ships biscuits bakers.

In the late 1850s a new dock opened at Grimsby in Lincolnshire and began to attract Barking fishermen. In 1862 the Hewett's fleet moved closer to the fishing grounds and relocated to Gorleston in Suffolk. Within a few years almost all the fishermen and the people that worked with them had left the town.

Old Barking
St Margaret's Church and the Abbey Curfew Tower The railway station. Barking Main Street
Barking Abbey

Today only the ruins remain of this once great Abbey together with the Curfew Tower alongside the surviving St Margaret's Parish Church. Recent archaeological excavations have revealed some of the remains of the first abbey of Erkenwald. Jewellery, carved bone, pottery, gold thread and glass making show have now made Barking Abbey into one of the most important religious archaeological sites in Europe today. According to Bede, the first Barking Abbey was founded by St Erkenwald in AD 666 for his sister St Ethelburga.

The first Abbey was a missionary centre and was destroyed by the Vikings in 870. 100 years later the Abbey was re-founded as a Royal foundation. This allowed the King to nominate each new abbess on the death of the old. The Abbey became a suitable place for members of the royal family to stay, and in 1066 the first Norman King, William I spent his first New Year since the Conquest here. Under royal patronage, queens, princesses and members of the nobility all became abbesses.

In 1541 the Abbey was dissolved by order of King Henry VIII. The nuns were pensioned off and the buildings soon demolished.
For almost 400 years the Abbey site was used as a quarry and a farm. Early in 1911 an excavation was carried out jointly by the Town Council and the Morant Club under Sir Alfred Clapham. Remains of the walls of the Abbey church were left exposed to view and the lines of the cloister out in 1966, 1971, and from 1984 onwards. In 1910 the ruins of the main Abbey church were excavated and became a small park. On 5 May 1975, the Abbey site, St Margaret's churchyard and their environs were officially opened as a conservation area.

Barking Dog Bar   Spotted Dog Bar   Nando's Bar
Barking Dog Pub for cheap food The spotted Dog pub, more trendy... Nando's Restaurant is a family business which has has been established by Jan and Catherine for over 15 years. If you want more information please CLICK HERE to E mail Catherine or you can phone her on the numbers below.

Mobile 0044 (0) 7710 242420 - Mobile 0044 (0) 7894 554365 - Phone 0044 (0) 207 859 4148 - Fax 0044 (0) 870 7624278

If you are dialling from outside the UK leave out the (0)
London Short Lets